I used to go to the Atelier on Santana Row. I found that salon relaxing and a bit of a luxury. Not so at this location.
* The Atelier eucalyptus aroma greets you as you climb the stairs (good- signals relaxation).
* The salon itself is neat and stylish.
* The ladies room was a mess, with trash overflowing the can, balled up seat liners on the toilet, and had a smell of gym socks.
* The music in the salon was some kind of dance/techno mix. The throbbing beat had me looking around for a strobe light.
* The salon acoustics are horrible; loud and echo-y. I have a sound meter app on my phone. At one point, I measured the sound level while there were two 'artists', two other clients and me in the room. When the hairdryers were not running, it was 85 decibels. The OSHA permissible exposure limit is 90. This is loud!
* I love my 'artist' Lindsay. She does a great job on my color, cut and styling. She has always made good product recommendations that keep my hair looking good and healthy. She gets 5 stars!
* No hand massages at this location.
* There was a customer in while I was there who was getting a do-over because he wasn't happy with the results of a previous service, and he commanded the attention of a majority of the staff while I was there. As a result, my appointment that should have lasted 2 hours took almost 3. If this had happened at a restaurant, they would have comp'd the meals or the drinks, but the reward for my patience was getting home after 9pm having paid the full price for the service.
This last bit annoys me, but I expect it was a one-off. If I go back and the place is that loud and the restroom is dirty, I won't return again. For these rates, I expect a relaxing, refreshing experience.