This review is based on only a single visit and my very first visit to Roots on Whyte. Furthermore, this first visit involved only an examination (by my request no additional dental services were performed during this initial visit other than an examination / evaluation).
* They do not use fluoride by request, and apparently do practice holistic dentistry. To the best of my knowledge, they are the only dental office that practices holistic dentistry in all of Edmonton, Alberta at this time (2018).
* Although I found Roots on Whyte by searching independently, they were also recommended to me by another holistic-practice dental office located in Calgary, Alberta, when I made such an inquiry to the Calgary office for holistic dental office recommendations located in the Edmonton area. In my opinion, this recommendation from an unassociated holistic dental office indicates a strong likelihood that Roots on Whyte is reputable / legitimate.
* Roots on Whyte is the most transparent and cooperative dental office I personally have ever found regarding fee schedules. They printed out a hardcopy sheet which listed the dental services I need along with the relevant fee schedule. It even included color photographs of the teeth referred to. I believe that every dentist office should provide this level of transparency for fees and rates, but sadly it seems this is not always the case with some other dental offices. If a dentist office is unwilling to be highly transparent to me, their client, with their fee schedules and moreover before, not just only after, services are performed, then something is wrong and I am unwilling to be their client.
* In my opinion, indications were that they are not eager to perform x-rays frequently or excessively, unlike perhaps some other dental offices, thereby reducing the amount of exposure to harmful radiation associated with conventional x-rays.
* Both the practitioners and the reception staff were friendly, approachable and took the time to listen to any questions or concerns that I had, both medical and financial.
* Practitioner staff listened to and answered my questions, and provided helpful advice. This included several questions I had regarding issues which I was relatively new to, including questions about potential risks associated with amalgam fillings containing the heavy metal mercury, related poisioning in the bloodstream etc..
* Parking is available underground: secure parking area, with available stalls (parking is difficult and congested typically on Whyte Avenue, similar to downtown Edmonton)
* Professional, clean building and dental equipment / chairs
* Fairly minor, but reception staff failed to update me through email later as they said they would with insurance coverage details. Now I have to contact the office myself during the week, and again request the information. If this information does not arrive 48 hours before my next appointment it will be necessary to reschedule in order to avoid the possibility of being charged a fee for a missed appointment.
* Parking is not free and costs approximately $5-$10 per visit
Overall a good, positive experience up to this point in time. I am hoping that things will continue to go well in the future and I look forward to being a long-term client.